Media ReleaseMinister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy, today welcomed further news that competition by internet retail service providers was bringing good news for National Broadband Network (NBN) customers.
Senator Conroy said Exetel’s announcement today of its entry level price of $34.50 was almost half that released by Internode last week and even lower than the sub-$40 package mooted by budget provider Dodo last Friday.
“As each day passes we are seeing competition in the retail NBN access market drive prices lower. This is great news for internet consumers,” Senator Conroy said.
“It is now time for Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull to stand up and admit they have been deliberately misleading the Australian public about the NBN.”
Senator Conroy said he was looking forward to even more pricing announcements by retail service providers over coming weeks.
He added that consumers needed to be wary of misleading media reports which were not accurately comparing the details of NBN access pricing packages.
“In many cases it is extremely difficult to make a proper comparison of packages because the speeds actually being delivered by internet service providers currently using today’s aging copper infrastructure are often well below what they are advertised to be,” he said.
“Another thing consumers should be aware of is that some media reports are not including line rental when they quote current internet plan prices, which is approximately $30 on top of the plan cost.
“The NBN is creating a network that will cater to the future needs of Australia, a network that will end the digital divide between metropolitan and regional Australia and one that will make Australia a world-leading digital economy.”
Date: Monday 25 July 2011